Tuesday, January 1, 2013

FRESH Avocado Tomatillo Dip/Sauce

This might be our family’s absolute most favorite recipe of all time. We may or may not have thought about making it in mass quantities and selling it. It’s THAT good.

avocado tomatillo dip sauce 2

3 lbs tomatillos (peeled, quartered)

2 lbs jalapenos (deveined; no membranes left)

8 avocados (diced)

2 bunches cilantro (leaves only)

2 limes (juice only)

1 medium onion (rough dice)

1 clove (not bunch) garlic - just a little bit

salt to taste (probably 1 TBS or maybe even more)

 

Directions:

Blend everything until completely and totally smooth, little bit by little bit, in the food processor. Salt the heck out of it and then taste it ... add more a little bit at a time until you think it's right. **I have a smaller food processor, so I do all the tomatillos first, until they’re smooth. Then the onion. Then the avocado. Cilantro … you get the idea. Each time I finish a full canister, I dump it into a big bowl together. Once everything is complete, you season it up with some salt.

* Also, I devein my jalapenos by cutting them in half, length wise, and then using a regular metal spoon to scrape/scoop all the insides out. That is where the heat is. If you take out all the white stuff, this isn’t a spicy dip/sauce AT ALL.

avocado tomatillo dip sauce

DISCLAIMER: This makes a LOT. A lot, a lot. But these are the quantities that I purchase the ingredients in. Then, I put the leftovers in freezer zip seal bags, lay them flat, and freeze them like file folders. Whenever I need the dip sauce, I pull a bag out and let it thaw for a couple hours. This freezes REALLY well for about 2-3 months. Anytime we make Mexican food, we pull out a bag and thaw it out. No words for how delicious it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment